Here are my favorite films of the last 10 years. I won't go into much detail on the films because I've probably already told you about them in the store. Or forced you to watch them.
1. Survive Style 5+ by Gen Sekiguichi (2004)
No US release in sight for this film. So many interlocking stories. Tadanobu Asano and Vinnie Jones. The director hasn't made a movie since. Here is the trailer. When you search for the film on youtube you will see several people pick segments of the film to be their favorite every.
2. Battle Royale by Kinji Fukusaku (2000) I used to import copies of the disc from the UK and sold quite a few. Oh the days before bootleg dvds.
3.City Of God by Fernando Mierelles and Katia Lund (2002)
4. Sympathy For Mr Vengeance by Park Chan-Wook (2002) My favorite of the Vengeance trilogy and the bleakest. Great performances by everybody in the cast.
5. Love Exposure by Sion Sono (2009)
My favorite film of 2009. 4 hours long.
6.Ichi The Killer by Takashi Miike (2001) It would a toss up between this and Audition if it had been released in the last 10 years. And it took me a year to find out that Yoshimi from the Boredoms did the soundtrack. Features Tadabanu Asano from Survive Style 5+. Rumor is that he will be featured in the Thor movie.
7.Memories Of Murder by Bong Joon-Ho (2003) Again a toss up between this and The Host. I prefer Song Kang-Ho's acting in this film.
8. Nowhere To Hide by Lee Myung-Se (2000) Saw this twice in one week at the Music Box. There is a US disc of this film but it is missing about 20 minutes. Two detectives tracking a mobster wanted for murder. This and Shiri were two the first Korean films that I watched.
9. 28 Days Later by Danny Boyle (2002) This was a good year for movies.
10. Mad Detective by Johnnie To (2008) I could write a list for the best 10 Johnnie To films of the last decade and still leave off some good movies.
Most of these movies are available on imported discs via ebay. You can also watch almost all of them on youtube.